Top Tips For Preventing Hay Fever
There are some important tips to follow to avoid having your summer ruined by hay fever this year. Apart from taking your natural hay fever remedies, it is useful to follow some general recommendations so that you can enjoy the weather this summer.
- Avoid drying your clothes outside as the pollen collects on the surface of the fabrics.
- Shower and wash your hair thoroughly when you come indoors after being outside to remove the pollen that collects during the day. Change your clothes after coming in from outside as the pollen sticks to your clothes, and wash these clothes before wearing again.
- Shower before going to bed, as the pollen sticks to your skin and hair.
- Keep all car windows closed when driving.
- Use a good quality air purifier and air filter at home. This will help to filter out pollens and pollutants from the air.
- Eat healthily, with plenty of fruits, grains, nuts, seeds and vegetables to help maintain a healthy immune system.
- Mow your lawn regularly before the grass flowers and releases its pollens.
- Avoid tobacco smoke which can also irritate your lungs and eyes.
- Try and minimise the time you spend outdoors, especially during the day, and early evening, when the pollen count is at the highest.
- Increase your intake of Vitamin C. This has natural anti-histamine properties.
- Take a teaspoon of honey every morning.
- Increase the amount of live yoghurt or probiotics to boost your immune system. Studies have found that eating yoghurt every day reduced the incidence of hay fever attacks. Garlic, apples and onions are a good source of quercetin, which is known to reduce the symptoms of hay fever.
- Eat plenty of blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, plums, cherries and grapes. These foods contain bioflavonoids that help to protect the mucous membranes from the effects of pollen.
Improve your summer by following our top tips for preventing hay fever.